Friday 29 June 2012

Blog Love: Why do I Blog?


I am coming to the end of my time with Holly Becker on her 'Blogging Your Way' e-course and I think I owe it to her to talk about what I have learnt. I was a little dubious when I signed up and my other half was certainly not impressed I'd spent so much money on an e-course! I also wasn't sure it would teach me anything I didn't already know. Boy was I wrong there. Well I have to say, I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever, in fact, I'm really sad it's almost over. The course has made me see blogging in a whole new light. Before it was just a way of me documenting my finds (often regurgitating what I've seen on other blogs) and showcasing my work but now it's become a whole new medium for me to express my creative passions and write about my what inspires me from heart. When you lead a busy working life with back to back projects for clients, it's easy to forget what makes you tick and why you are doing what you do. Writing my blog is my way of escape, to refresh my mind and get excited about what is going on out there beyond my office! 




The course has been a lot more than how to write a blog (anyone can do that anyway!). It's focus has been on finding out who you are as person, why you are unique, what you want to achieve and how to do it. I'm quite quiet and shy 'in real life' but it has given me a new found confidence.  Holly and her team (Jeanette Lund of By Fryd, Nicole Balch of 'Making it Lovely' & Katrina Tan of 'Pugly Pixel' ) have taught me the importance of my online voice, how communicating with others via the web can grow my business and develop my 'brand' making new friendships and building relationships along the way. At this point I also have to mention the number of friends I have made along the journey of the class. The support and encouragement from my classmates has been fantastic. 




BYW has given me a vision. It's left me brimming with ideas for creative posts, e-magazines, projects and even the possibility of launching into publishing...one day! It's opened my eyes to the world around me and how to see inspiration in my everyday life. I know as a designer I should be doing these things anyway, but as I said, it's easy to forget. It has encouraged me to go out and do things and try new things (see my post on my introduction to sewing class). As Holly said in one of her lessons, 'do your thing and keep moving forwards'.  I'm excited about the 'moving forwards' and my new found direction,  and I can't wait to share my onward creative journey here.


This post has been illustrated with these words of wisdom from VOL25. The prints are available to buy here.


11 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful. I've been dealing with the same issue recently, and have realized that my blog is mostly fluff. I'm starting to try and keep things in perspective by keeping in mind what I would want to remember and look back on in five years; does that thrifting expedition really matter, or are issues of the heart more important? I'm excited to see what direction you take!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna I'm delighted to have found you through BYW2.0. I'm now following you ☺. Hasn't it been the best? I loved the 'blogging from the heart' message the most. J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. Yes BYW has been amazing! Hope we all stay in touch. English, yes we shall see, i'm intrigued too ha ha! Jane, I've just been to your blog, it really moved me Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna, I think you've definitely convinced me now that I've missed out big time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! I'm currently reading http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blogging-Creatives-designers-crafters-contacts/dp/1440320136 as an attempt to inspire my blog posts to be more fruitful rather than waffle - this course sounds great and loving your motivation. Look forward to seeing where it takes you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I will have to check that one out. I"ve gone a bit mad with buying books lately!

      Delete
  6. Well said Anna ! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anna,
    I've been trying to email you but I keep getting the emails bounced back (technology, eh?!)! In regards to your email, I'd love to be a part of a feature - your blog is fantastic and I'm enjoying visiting! :)
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Hayley, that is great, thanks so much. I will send you an email from a different address X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. Love the images with quotes. Very inspiring !
    Good luck,
    Ellya

    ReplyDelete

Well if you are here then you must have read my post, so a big THANK YOU for visiting and for taking the time to comment. Your words bring a little bit of sunshine to my day (if they are nice) and I look forward to reading them. Thanks for supporting me. Anna :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...